Objetivos e público prioritário
To foster maroon people’s territorial articulation, by pressing for land regularization and fighting social inequality, in addition to strengthening each quilombo’s specific struggles.
- Network planning meetings aimed at organizing and preparing activities to be carried out in the communities or to press for land regularization.
- Meetings aimed at awareness raising on the context surrounding this issue, systematization and further development of content on specific problems and the execution of measures to address common concerns.
- Meeting aimed at planning and strategizing actions to press INCRA – National Institute of Colonization and Agrarian Reform.
- Workshops offering specific project management and administration services to the project.
- Workshops offering all communication services necessary to the good execution of the project.
- Solidarity actions to specific struggles and to the fight against inequalities in the communities.
- Public action in favor of land regularization and titling of Brazil´s maroon communities territories.
The territory of Baixo Jequitinhonha was not represented in the Council of Traditional Peoples of the Minas Gerais government. Brazil’s maroon communities’ articulation have not yet planned any specific meetings in the region known as Baixo Jequitinhonha, only in the Médio Jequitinhonha. The territory is outside the active articulation with other maroon communities. The scarce resources of the communities do not allow their displacement to other regions. The communities that have already been able to organize anthropological studies, thus being able to demarcate their territory, are strained due to the different obstacles they face and the delay of land regularization processes posed by INCRA. Their struggle is based on “faith and diligence”, according to the representatives of the communities. In addition to the struggles that are common to several communities, each one of them faces specific struggles, most of which are a consequence of not having completed land regularization processes.
About the organization
The Association of Maroon Communities of Marobá dos Teixeira has as its mission to defend the right to the territory occupied by the maroon communities around 1870; protect the environment; promote a sustainable economy and the social and cultural development of the whole community; restore their cultural festivities calendar; and preserve religious and cultural manifestations, respecting the autonomy and self-determination of the community, promoting the quality of life.
Pastoral Land Commission.
Brazil's Maroon Communities Federation.
Federation of Agricultural Workers of the State of Minas Gerais.
Annual Call for Proposals
R$ 40 mil
Right to Land