Objetivos e público prioritário
Strengthen the role of families of those who were victims of institutional violence in the fight for justice and against State violence in slums.
- Psychological assistance for families of victims of institutional violence, in cases monitored by the Network of Communities and Movements against Violence.
- Assistance to the families of the most recent victims of institutional violence in slums during their institutional journey.
- Encounters to promote coexistence, solidarity and experience exchange.
- Meeting to collectively elaborate a work schedule,
- Public hearing on State violence and summary executions in slums and in the suburbs of big cites, organized in partnership with NUDEDH – Center for the Defense of Human Rights of the Public Defender’s Office of the State of Rio de Janeiro.
In the face of a history of violent interventions by security forces in the slums and poor suburbs of big cities, it is important to highlight the protagonist role performed by family members (mostly Black women) of victims, who had their children, siblings, husbands, nephews or grandchildren executed or gone missing during raids or militarized occupations, especially in what regards the denouncing of human rights violations suffered by those dear to them. These women have become major actors both in the struggle for justice, having learned to demand from the state compensation for these losses, as well as in the fight against the criminalization of their loved ones, once they are usually accused of being thugs/drug dealers when they die during shootouts with the police. In addition to the obstacles inherent in the social asymmetry that marks their search for justice (i.e. the journey endured by these women through different institutions in charge of executing or mediating police investigations and judicial processes in homicide cases), they also have to deal with the consequences of this death within their own families: their other children and their husbands still demand them to perform their day-to-day domestic work, despite their own grief.
About the organization
The Network of Communities and Movements against Violence’s mission is to fight against state violence in slums and in the suburbs of big cities, offering support to the families of victims and denouncing human rights violations perpetrated by state agents. The Network monitors cases of summary execution and forced disappearance, supporting the families of the victims in the reporting of cases and during the police investigation and judicial process. The denouncing is also done through demonstrations and public acts, besides debates and the exhibitions of films.
- Manguinhos Social Forum
- Movimento Moleque
- Youth Forum of Rio de Janeiro
- Organization of the March against the Genocide of the Black People-RJ
- Mothers of May Movement (SP)
- AMAFAVV - Association of Mothers and Families of Victims of Violence (ES)
- Global Justice
- Amnesty International
Annual Call for Proposals
R$ 40 mil
Guaranteeing the rule of law and criminal justice